Today, we’re asking people to commit to this fight with a donation to the Apache Stronghold.
"In the days ahead,
Chi’chil Biłdagoteel needs us.
We have been given strong indication that the Forest Service will be making their decision on the Oak Flat land exchange in December. This will immediately begin the process of handing over a sacred site to one of the largest mining companies in the world. For more than a decade, people all over the world have had eyes on Oak Flat. And on the ground, countless people have been in solidarity with the Apache people as they fight to protect Oak Flat. Oak Flat needs all of us now to come together." Dr. Wendsler Nosie Sr.
Wendsler Nosie Sr. & his ancestors.
Back of T-shirt reads,
“The spirits of our ancestors call on us. Usen (God) guides us to protect his creation, Mother Earth, our keeper, for all who live on her are related."
Support the Apache Stronghold and their work to protect Apache culture and spiritual connection with this shirt featuring community leader,
Back of T-shirt reads,
"In this moment will reveal our spiritual commitment in saving our holy and sacred sites. Save Oak Flat - Wendsler Nosie Sr.
Available in unisex & women's cut.
Show your support to protect Chi’chil Bildagoteel (Oak Flat) from a massive proposed copper mine.
Back of T-shirt reads,
"They may assume they are winning by destroying our Mother (Earth), but we are keeping the blessed gift alive so that those yet to be born can embrase the spirit of life."
BUY PROTECT OAK FLAT YARD SIGN
Proceeds from selling these products will go toward the on-going campaign to save Oak Flat, lead by the San Carlos Apache and other indigenous organizers.
Show your support for the campaign to protect Oak Flat from a massive copper mine. Oak Flat is located between Globe and Superior, Arizona. It is a sacred site for the Apache people, and used as a recreational area for campers, hikers and climbers.
Black & White photos (c) Steve Pavey
TAKE ACTION! Ways to help save Oak Flat
Chi’chil Biłdagoteel (Oak Flat) is a sacred site for the San Carlos Apache—a place to pray, collect water and medicinal plants, gather acorns, honor the people who are buried there, and perform sacred ceremonies. In 2014, the United States government promised the land to a copper mining company to build a two mile wide mine. Wendsler Nosie Sr. returned home to this space in November 2019 and asks us to join him in prayer and action to prevent the destruction of Oak Flat. The Resolution Copper Project would create one of the largest copper mines in the United States.
Call to Action
- Tweet at Rio Tinto: Stop Plundering the Planet
- Update Save Oak Flat Act Reintroduced! Please ask your congressional leaders to cosponsor and support H.R. 1884 and S.915. Access bill information below.
House Bill H.R.1884 — 117th Congress (2021-2022) To repeal section 3003 of the Carl Levin and Howard P. "Buck" McKeon National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015, and for other purposes. aka Save Oak Flat Act introduced | Rep. Grijalva, Raul M. [D-AZ-3]
S.915 - A bill to repeal section 3003 of the Carl Levin and Howard P. "Buck" McKeon National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015, and for other purposes. aka Save Oak Flat Act | Sen. Sanders, Bernie [I-VT]
- New! Calling Faith Leaders to Help Protect Oak Flat! Poor People's Campaign Action Network
- Updated! Please ask your members of Congress to support and co-sponsor the Save Oak Flat Act The Save Oak Flat Act will repeal Section 3003 of the 2015 National Defense Authorization Act. (Action Alert, Arizona Mining Oversight, Oak Flat Mining) March 31, 2021
- Updated! Take action now to help push through this critical legislation. The Center for Biological Diversity has also supported and promoted legislation to repeal the Oak Flat land exchange.
Sign Petition via Move On, Campaign created by Wendsler Nosie Sr.
Call or write AZ Senator Mark Kelly | AZ Senator Kyrsten Sinema and congressional leaders in your state.
*Ask them to cosponsor and support the Save Oak Flat Act S.915 & H.R.1884.
*Ask them to listen to the expert witness testimonies during the March 12, 2020
hearing to repeal the Oak Flat land exchange by the Natural Resources Subcommittee for Indigenous Peoples of the United States: The Irreparable Environmental and Cultural Impacts of the Proposed Resolution Copper Mining Operation and the NBC Today, March 3, 2021 episode, "Sacred Apache land 'on death row' in standoff with foreign mining titans"
Urge Arizona's Senators to Save Oak Flat | via Pre-written via Center for Biological Diversity
Contact Arizona's Governor Doug Doucey | Tell him how you feel about Oak Flat.
Write to Congress via text to RESISTBOT - 1) Send text to 50409 type RESIST. 2) Follow the prompts. 3) Type your message (example below) 4) Resistbot will compose letter and send it to YOUR congressional leaders. It's easiest to compose your message first and copy/paste it into your text message. Learn more: RESISTBOT
What's at Stake? Learn more by listening to the EXPERT witness testimonies
Pray Calling all people of faith, all religions to pray for Oak Flat
- Please ground all actions in prayer.
- Pray in your own manner, organize others to pray with you
- Find a prayer practice that fits you—take a walk, light a candle, sit quietly...
- Reach out to your religious and spiritual leaders and congregations to ask for prayers for Oak Flat.
- Set intention for the safety and wellbeing of Oak Flat, of all life and water of that Sacred site and of all who defend it, for the passing of the Save Oak Flat Act by Congress.
- Pray for Wendsler’s safety, the San Carlos Apache Nation, the fresh water that runs at Oak Flat, action in Congress, the trees, plants, and animals in danger.
Aids to prayer for Oak Flat
Physical Presence and Prayer at Sacred Oak Flat
Go camping by yourself or with family at Oak Flat. Visit Oak Flat for a day to pray in your own manner. Please be mindful the Oak Flat campground is located within an Apache Sacred site. Please respect it as you would respect any place of worship. This is not an occupation camp. Apache Stronghold does not promote large gatherings due to the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions. If you come to Oak Flat, please follow all CDC guidelines to keep yourself, loved ones, and others safe.
Display Protect Oak Flat yard sign by your tent or camper. Buy Protect Oak Flat Yard Sign
Make Oak Flat visible on social and other media
Post videos, repost news stories to your social media accounts
Promote Oak Flat with a Zoom virtual background - Add an Oak Flat Landscape to your Zoom background picture. See: Take Action Gallery for background pictures. A link to a Zoom Virtual Background tutorial is provided.
Write a Letter to the Editor of local newspaper about how you feel about Oak Flat & why it's important to you.
Spread the word - Talk to friends, family, neighbors, groups and faith leaders.
Host a digital “house meeting” & watch one of the multimedia videos to discuss & take action.
Participate in Online Events & Webinars | See EVENTS for more info.
Rio Tinto & Resolution Copper
Call, write or publish a public letter to Rio Tinto and Resolution Copper insisting that they pull out of all plans related to future mining in Oak Flat. There is no possible mitigation for the destruction of sacred land. Rio Tinto Chairman Simon Thompson, said the company would “never again” allow this type of destruction to take place. Rio Tinto has promised to act “in ways that are sensitive and responsive to the values and expectations of Traditional Owners and Indigenous communities.”
Learn more about Rio Tinto & Resolution Copper Project
- Evasion and hypocrisy: the 2021 Rio Tinto plc AGM | London Mining Network, Apr 14, 2021 | Report by Richard Solly, Co-ordinator, London Mining Network, with assistance from Dina Rui, Roger Featherstone, Sukhgerel Dugersuren, Yvonne Orengo and Zoe Lujic.
- Rio Tinto's chairman to step down in latest shakeup following Indigenous cave destruction | CNN Business | Laura He, March 2, 2021